In November 2021, the Foyer Federation launched an ambitious new programme: the Youth Power Fund, supported by Blagrave Trust. Foyers were invited to apply for funding to explore youth leadership in their service, experiment with creative new approaches and, ultimately, shift more power in favour of the young people who live there.
Foyers could apply under two different funding streams:
- Accelerator. Up to £15,000 per year over three years to significantly and sustainably increase the power young people have within and beyond the service.
- Spark. Up to £5,000 for a year to test a creative approach to youth leadership and power to find out what works.
A panel made up of six young people and two Foyer Federation members of staff assessed each application individually and engaged in a thorough group discussion to select seven projects to fund. We also visited each service for a project development visit to offer feedback, find out more about each proposal and innovate. Subject to final due diligence checks, we are delighted to announce the services awarded funding:
- CHADD On-Route Foyer (Accelerator)
- YMCA Crewe (Accelerator)
- Enfield Foyer, Christian Action Housing (Accelerator)
- Swan Housing Association’s three Foyers – Dove Cott, Heather Court and Swan House (Accelerator)
- Bath Foyer, Curo Housing Group (Spark)
- Braintree Foyer, SAHA (Spark)
- Milton Keynes YMCA (Spark)
Congratulations to these services and the staff and residents that created these powerful proposals. We look forward to working closely with you over the coming years.
Young people and members of staff from these services will join a learning cohort, meeting three times across each year. Through a series of workshops, opportunities for reflection and peer learning sessions, the cohort will surface learnings from their work, share their successes and challenges, and offer innovation and problem-solving support to each other. We will share any learnings or ideas that come from this with our whole network of members.